Washington Elementary School held its school closing celebration event on Thursday, March 25, 2010. Listed in this photo album are photos taken at the event. Click here to read more memories in the A-H Newsroom.
Washington Elementary School can trace its beginnings back to October 1879. At that time, enrollment was increasing and a new school was discussed at a town meeting.
After several meetings, it was decided to issue $6,000 in bonds to construct a four-room, two-story brick building. A subsequent bond issue of $2,500 increased the amount available to $8,500 for the new school, which was started on Sept. 9, 1880 and completed on Nov. 15, 1880. The school was named Washington and contained four classrooms, each equipped with 48 seats.
On Nov. 25, 1884, a fire (caused by an overheated defective furnace) broke out at the school. School was in session at the time, but fortunately, all of the children marched out in orderly fashion without injury. The fire completely destroyed the four-year old building. The school's insurance of $6,500 did not cover the original cost (of $8,500) so a special election was held in February 1885 to authorize additional funds to cover the difference.
Once rebuilt, this site served as Washington school until 1954, when the current Washington school was built. Additions were added to the current site in 1960 and 1974.
Due to school closings, Washington students will be moved to Crooked Lake, Franklin, Lincoln and Wilson schools through a change in attendance boundaries beginning with the 2010-11 school year. The Washington facility will reopen in fall 2010 for sixth-graders as the Washington Campus of the Anoka Middle School for the Arts (formerly named Fred Moore Middle School Center for the Arts).