Champlin Elementary School held its school closing celebration event on Saturday, May 1, 2010. Listed in this photo album are photos taken at the event. Click here to read more school memories in the A-H Newsroom.
Champlin Elementary School opened on Sept. 1, 1939. The fireproof constructed building contained four classrooms, an auditorium (with seating 250 to 300 designed for community use) and featured modern coal-powered steam forced ventilation heating. Additions were added in 1951, 1955, 1962 and 1989.
Two schools had been previously establsihed on the present site of Champlin Elementary. The first school was established in 1860, followed by the Garfield school in 1887. The Garfield school was a four-classroom school build of wood and brick veneer construction and featured steam heat. It served grades one through eight until it was replaced with a modern building (to become Champlin Elementary) in 1938.
In 1948, Champlin School District 34 (Champlin Elementary) consolidated with School District 99 (Dunning School, built in 1877). Dunning students were then moved to Champlin Elementary School. In 1952, Champlin School District 34 consolidated with other small school districts or parts of districts in Anoka and Hennepin counties to become what is now the Anoka-Hennepin School District.
Students currently attending Champlin Elementary and Riverview Specialty School will attend school at the Park View building (which is located next to Jackson Middle School) and some in a portion of Jackson beginning with the 2010-11 school year. This school will become the Champlin-Brooklyn Park Academy for Math and Environmental Science (formerly known as the Riverview Specialty School for Math and Environmental Science in Brooklyn Park).